Thursday, August 27, 2015

An Introduction

Hi all!

My daughter just started preschool so I find myself having a bit more time to myself now.  I have decided to start blogging about my crafting and perhaps life in general.  A little about me, perhaps?  I'm currently living in Copenhagen, Denmark.  My husband's job brings us here.  We have been here for 2 1/2 years and will be moving back to the USA in another year or around that time.  We have one beautiful daughter and a big, goofy red Labrador.  Denmark has started to grow on me mostly because I have a great base of friends here.  I do miss home and having family close by and the countryside too.  We moved from a house on 2 acres near a small town in the midwest to Copenhagen, which is 1.5 million people.  Thankfully it's not a huge city and has the feel of a large town, not a city.

My grandma used to quilt for as long as I remember.  She's now 92 years old and for obvious reasons can't do it anymore.  I remember going to visit her and she would be in her basement by her huge quilting stand hand quilting.  When I went to college and needed blankets for my bed she told, "Heaven forbid girl, don't go and buy any....come with me!"  She went to her spare bedroom and let me choose from several of her handmade quilts.  Until I started quilting I really didn't realize how special her giving me quilts really was.  I still have at least 3 that she gave me stashed away in the US.

One of my Grandma's hand sewn quilts


 This was a quilt I attempted to start in college but just didn't happen.  I sewed the embroidery flowers during college but stashed them until a few years ago.  My mother-in-law was kind enough to piece and quilt it for me.  She did an amazing job!!



I recently started giving quilting a serious go within the past year and have made several small projects so far.  I hope to upgrade to a larger sewing machine when we move home so I will be able to machine quilt (any advice on choosing a machine??).  I really enjoy quilting and my mother-in-law teases me that I have an uncanny ability to pick difficult projects.  I like the finished look of the quilt so I try them.  I know my quilts aren't perfect but I'm trying :)  If you have tips and hints for quilting (or any crafts), I would love to hear them.

My second love is cross stitch.  Here also I pick huge projects, haha!  I'm the type of person that wants to hang them on my wall and be proud of them.  I mostly pick cross stitch kits but once in awhile I'll try a pattern from a book and buy the thread separately.  Someone once told me I should go into business doing cross stitch and sell them to people.  I laughed.  Out loud.  I added up the hours it took me to make my last project and at minimum wage (in the US), it would be worth over $1,000.  I do it for myself.

Well, thus ends the introduction.  I hope you enjoy my blog.  Send any comments and questions my way :)

By the way, if you'd like to see my other blog about living in Denmark, here's the link:  http://beinganamericanincopenhagen.blogspot.dk/.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment